Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Review: Nairn's Oatcakes

Nairn's Oatcakes recently contacted me about doing a review of their cracker and cookie products. They are a company that specializes in wheat- (and gluten)-free foods; the main ingredient is whole grain oats. Here are my thoughts on the company and its products:

Nairns-Oatcakes.com
The company produces foods that are all natural, wheat/gluten free with a focus on wholegrain oats. They are based in Scotland. What I found most impressive, other than catering to the gluten-free crowd, is that their cookies are high in fiber, low in sugar and source their palm oil sustainably. Thumbs up and well done for that.

I sampled two boxes of nairn's oat biscuits: mixed berries and stem ginger. Both had great taste, and a noticeably lower sugar content than other traditional cookies. These were more filling than fattening, I'd say.

Although I am not gluten-free, I recognize that consuming huge amounts of wheat can have a detrimental effect on the digestive system (you can read more about it in the book "Wheat Belly") and thus I limit my wheat intake. These cookies helped!!

I'd definitely recommend them if you're looking for a filling snack that isn't overwhelmingly sweet or calorie-dense: I've been crumbling my cookies in plain yogurt, smearing peanut butter on them, etc etc. The cookies are plain, slightly sweetened with nice flavor; the stem ginger flavor has a really nice tang to it! Take a look at their website for recipes and where you might find a local stockist: Nairn's Oatcakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment